Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday: Project (Remembered)


(Sarcastic Header and Picture)

Gone are the days (for me, though they shouldn't be) of hand planing, drilling holes with a egg-beater style drill, hand nailing, and pencil and paper sketches. 

I have been reflecting on my life lately, and how dynamic it can be. Dynamic meaning that it is a fluid thing. Some areas improving, and some declining, always trying to strike the right balance. I have noticed that my DIY skills are getting better in a lot of ways, but I am relying more and more on the technology that can sometimes replace good-old-fashioned-thought and planning. 

Years ago I saw the OEUF Classic crib, and I knew that it was "the one for us." Unfortunately, the price tag was "the one for someone else"

So my first child furniture related DIY had begun.

I first decided that I would need to buy a good router, then find a way to measure all of the openings in the crib, then build a template that the router could follow, then etc.blah,blah,etc.etc,blah,etc.

THEN I FOUND SHOPBOT

In this particular case, it isn't a matter of skill, or great craftsmanship, but rather the realization that computers are better than me.

WHAT I REALIZED IS THAT THE DESIGN IS THE HARD PARD. THE FABRICATION IS MANAGEABLE.

STEP 1

DRAW CRIB ON COMPUTER.

STEP 2

PUT SHEET OF MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) on shopbot table.

STEP 3

Push ENTER.









STEP 4

PAINT



STEP 5

ASSEMBLE





STEP 7

ADMIRE AND BLOG




I am sure that I have Blogged about this before, but the reason that I have chosen to put it up today, is because I have a couple other DIY projects in the works, and I have noticed that when the Computer does all the work, things are easy. The latest project will go up soon, and I will explain what I mean. I have to give credit where credit is due. The computer did this project, and when I do it, things aren't quite so smooth. I'll post it up soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love this room!! This is the room that made me fall in love with your style! Can't wait to move back to the Bay Area and have you design a space for us!!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete